sleep like a champion
WHY SLEEP IS THE BEST EXERCISE TO GET FIT
Most of us have heard that doing sports can help to improve our sleep quality, but did you know that sleep also helps you to get fit? Getting more and better quality sleep really can help you improve your athletic performance, regardless of your level and preferred sport.
Research shows that sleeping better can help you improve your speed, accuracy and reaction time when doing sports. So how is sleep actually helping us to get fit?
When we go into the first stage of deep sleep a growth hormone is released which helps the body to regenerate and repair. The hormone stimulates protein synthesis, promotes cell division and helps to break down fat which provides energy for tissue repair.
The more we exercise the more we need to sleep. If you start training for a marathon or increase your exercise frequency, the increased intensity can weaken your immune system and put you at a greater risk of falling ill. Studies have shown that athletes who on average sleep less than 8 hours a night are almost twice as likely to get a sports injury as those who sleep more than 8 hours.
Just as you need more calories when you do more sports, you also need more sleep to fully recover. If you are training intensively you should sleep up to an hour extra per night. Athletes at the top of their game sleep even more.
Sleep to win
Sleep tips from professional athletes
For professional sportsmen and women sleep is vital. That is why Serena Williams and Roger Federer sleep up to 12 hours a night, in particular during competition season. Patrick Küng, former downhill ski world champion, talks about the challenge travelling for competitions as well: “Travelling a lot for competitions I realize that hotel rooms can be a killer for my sleep, either too warm or too cold. With Dagsmejan I don’t have to worry about that anymore, these pajamas makes my body feeling instantly at home.”
—FOOTBALL PLAYER BUNDESLIGA
1. Sleep for high performance: "As a competitive athlete, good sleep is extremely important for regeneration. A bad night can sometimes be compensated physically, but too little sleep over several nights has a strong negative effect on performance."
2. Getting enough sleep: “I often used to wake up sweating during the night. Then I discovered Dagsmejan’s functional sleepwear a few years ago and was happy to have finally found a sleepwear that is both loose and comfortable and regulates the body temperature well during sleep. With the new Recovery line my sleep quality has improved once again.”
TANJA & NINA
—EUROPEAN VOLLEYBALL CHAMPION
1. Adjusting my sleep to my need: “As an athlete, recovery is just as important as all the training we’re doing,” says Tanja Hüberli. “And if we sleep well enough, pushing our limits gets easier,” adds her teammate Nina Brunner.
2. Sleep and performance: “Good and deep sleep is essential to perform at our very best during competitions. Especially when we have tournaments that have a longer duration, it is very important to get enough rest.”
3. Consistency and comfort: “I try and go to bed at the same time every day. I turn my phone off 30 minutes before I want to sleep and read a book or just listen to music. My bedroom is very cosy and doesn’t have a lot of things in it, so I feel very comfortable in the environment where I sleep.” - Tanja
FROM THE EXPERT
sleep like a champion
What can we learn from the professional athletes that are on top of their game? One important lesson is that sleep has been a vital component of their success. Dr. med Lutz Grauman, Phd & specialist in sports medicine, nutrition and chirotherapy and member of the Dagsmejan medical advisory board, talks about why sleep is so important in the world of professional sports and what we all can learn from that.
SLEEP BETTER WITH DAGSMEJAN
experience it yourself
Combining the finest natural fibres with the latest sleep technology, Dagsmejan sleepwear is scientifically proven to help you sleep longer and deeper. By staying longer in the ideal climatic zone we can ensure that we can enjoy truly restorative sleep to wake up with focus, energy and clarity to take on whatever the day may offer.
"You look for performance fabrics in your sportswear, so why shouldn’t you in your PJs? Swiss Company Dagsmejan’s range of natural-fibre sleepwear boasts the performance values of synthetics. Moisture-wicking, antibacterial, temperature-regulating and four times more breathable than cotton."
"Super-soft, comfy and stylish the breathable fabric of this sleepwear helps with temperature control."
"Best for recovery: Dagsmejan temperature-controlled sleepwear. Let’s not forget about the best apparel for resting in after your workout, too. These pyjamas are scientifically made to help you sleep better thanks to the high tech fabric that is used."
"Sleep well tonight. The new Balance 2.0 from luxury sleepwear brand Dagsmejan is made from natural fabric derived from beech wood, said to be 6 times as breathable as cotton and twice as soft."
"The cozy fabric made of beech wood fibre guarantees an optimal body temperature all night long. Sweating and freezing are a thing of the past, so we sleep deeper and longer."