To be able to perform your best when it matters, professional athletes today know that sleep is vital for success. Tanja Hüberli and Nina Brunner, the power duo on the beach volleyball court, know all about it.
“As an athlete, recovery is just as important as all the training we’re doing,” says Tanja Hüberli. “And if we sleep well enough, pushing our limits gets easier,” adds her teammate Nina Brunner.
The two professional athletes have been a winning team since 2016, crowned European and Swiss Champions and competing at the Olympics. To continue to be on top of their game and the winners podium, they are now upping their sleep game with Dagsmejan. So what’s the connection between sleep and sports?
SLEEP LIKE A CHAMPION
For a professional athlete a good night’s sleep can make the difference between being a champion and struggling at the back of the pack;
- SHORTER REACTION TIMES: Good sleep means athletes have shorter reaction times and in professional sports a fraction of a second could be the difference between winning and losing.
- FASTER DECISION-MAKING: Making decisions in a split second during a fast-paced game? Much easier after a good night’s rest.
- MORE ENERGY: Bad sleep also negatively affects our glucose metabolism, leading to inefficient energy production that can have a detrimental effect on our performance the next day. There are studies showing that chronic insomnia can reduce this metabolic process by up to 40 percent.
- LOWER RISK OF INJURY: One study has proven that athletes who sleep more than eight hours per night have a significantly lower risk of injury.
- BETTER TISSUE REGENERATION: Low-quality or lack of sleep increases cortisol levels in our blood, which can hinder tissue growth and regeneration.
Beach volleyball is a fast-paced sport that requires a high level of focus, quick reactions and vast amounts of stamina. Tournaments can last up to 3 weeks and are based on a sequence of games to be played with little time to rest in between, especially if you are on a winning team.
Tanja is convinced that “good and deep sleep is essential to perform at our very best during competitions. Especially when we have tournaments that have a longer duration, it is very important to get enough rest.”
TANJA & NINA’S TOP TIPS FOR A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP
Because sleep is something very individual, each athlete has their own routines and preferences. While some need up to 12 hours of sleep during tournaments (looking at you, Roger Federer), others are fine with 8 or 9 hours, or less.
For Tanja, consistency and comfort are key:
“I try and go to bed at the same time every day. I turn my phone off 30 minutes before I want to sleep and read a book or just listen to music. My bedroom is very cosy and doesn’t have a lot of things in it, so I feel very comfortable in the environment where I sleep.”
For Nina, on the other hand, it’s all about awareness and routine:
“To enhance my sleeping routine, I always follow three key sleep steps: first, I don’t go to bed unless I feel tired. Second, I ensure my bedroom has the optimal sleeping temperature. And third, I choose a comfortable pillow and sleepwear.”
WHY TANJA & NINA CHOOSE DAGSMEJAN
Dagsmejan is the official recovery provider for Tanja and Nina on their journey to victory at championships across the world.
As Tanja puts it; “A good and deep sleep is essential for our performance during the competitions – that is why I choose to sleep in Dagsmejan. I feel very comfortable in their pajamas and I always look forward to going to bed.”
As they travel through different climates and time zones, sleeping well can become hard. By optimizing their sleep routine and making Dagsmejan a core part of that, Nina and Tanja boost their recovery and ability to perform when it matters most.
“To optimize my recovery throughout the night, I choose Dagsmejan sleepwear. It’s the softest and most comfortable pajamas I have ever worn” Nina adds
THE IMPACT OF DAGSMEJAN SLEEPWEAR ON SLEEP & PERFORMANCE
In professional sports, an efficient recovery process is a critical factor for success, especially during competitions that last for more than a day and include several games in a row. If you make it to the finals, you don’t want to be worn out from the games you played leading up to it. For this reason, rest becomes a top priority, and coaches and athletes will consider every aspect of it to make each minute of sleep count.
Dagsmejan sleepwear is scientifically proven to boost sleep comfort and quality, so how does it work?
- OPTIMAL CLIMATIC COMFORT ZONE: With exceptional temperature regulation and breathability, the athlete keeps the best temperature for sleep for longer during the night. Temperature fluctuations impact in particular the deep sleep phases lowering sleep quality
- NIGHT SWEATS NO MORE: Athletes sweat quicker and more profusely than untrained people in general. Hot climates and adrenaline running through your body can make night sweats an issue as well. Dagsmejan offers double cooling power and comfort: evaporative cooling lowers your temperature and moisture wicking keeps you dry and comfortable.
- DESIGNED FOR SLEEP: Everyone, athletes included, move on average 50 times every night. Dagsmejan is designed to move with you ensuring that nothing cuts in or rides up.
- LIKE A SECOND SKIN: Ultra-light and super soft, Dagsmejan sleepwear is like a second skin allowing for the most comfortable sleep experience.
The Recovery collection additionally offers a boost in muscle recovery through minerals reflecting back infra-red energy which can enhance muscle oxygenation.
Discover the Dagsmejan collection that is your ideal match in bed to improve on your sleep whether you are a professional athlete or a coach potato.