HOW WE ARE MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE
22,090 – that’s the number of trees we have planted for this year’s Green Friday initiative at Dagsmejan. For each order you placed in our online shop between November 25 and 30, we planted ten trees in Madagascar.
Because around 90% of Madagascar’s primary forests have already been destroyed despite the island being one of the world’s top biodiversity spots. 75% of the species that live in Madagascar cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Reforestation in Madagascar will not only help preserve and restore this important ecosystem, it will also support the poorest of the people who live there, like the farmers and fishermen who depend on nature for their livelihoods.
WHO PLANTS THOSE TREES?
Dagsmejan works with Eden Reforestation, a US-based non-profit organization that collaborates with local communities at 280 project sites in ten countries to restore forests on a massive scale. In doing so, they not only protect and rebuild ecosystems, they also create jobs and help mitigate climate change.
WHY DOING THE RIGHT THING MATTERS TO US
At Dagsmejan, sustainability is at the core of everything we do. When it comes to our fabrics, for example:
- We use only the finest natural fibers.
- We source all our fibers from trusted and certified producers.
- Our merino wool from NATIVA™ is mulesing-free, fully traceable, and takes only six months to biodegrade (for synthetic fibers, biodegradation can take up to 200 years).
- The beechwood for our TencelTM comes from sustainably grown forests in Austria and neighboring Switzerland, is carbon-neutral, and requires ten to twenty times less water than cotton.
- The same goes for our eucalyptus fibers, which also need five times less high-quality farm land than cotton.
And it’s not just about nature – sustainability at Dagsmejan extends to work ethics as well. We produce all our pajamas with trusted partners in Europe and work with the Swiss NGO Lernwerk to re-use fabric waste, while helping people to re-enter the workforce by producing headbands and scrunchies.
Next time you sleep in your Dagsmejan pajamas, enjoy the peace of mind that comes with your sustainable choice of sleepwear.